The St John Stella Londt Retirement Centre is situated in Sunridge Park, Port Elizabeth on land that was once a farm owned by an industrialist – William Edward Londt, the founder of the Edworks Shoe Company.
The family lived an idyllic life in the countryside, which it was in the late 1920’s, and as Mr Londt prospered, the house became a double storied mansion where Mrs and Mrs Londt lived with their two daughters, Stella and May and a son Gilbert.
The eldest daughter Stella left home to get married in England, but sadly, in 1933 at the age of 22, she was killed in a motor vehicle accident.
The distraught family moved back into town and donated the land to the Ministering League for Tuberculosis and in 1948 the League donated the property to St John who continued to operate a convalescent home until 1956, when a new committee set up a ‘Home for the Aged’.
Today, the complex is known as the St John Stella Londt Retirement Centre and situated on the 4 hectare estate there are:
- 62 Independent Cottages - Life Right & Rented
- 32 Semi dependent Garden Flats - Life Right and Rental
- 23 Assisted Living Rooms
- 20 Frail Care beds and a Sick Bay
- 1 B&B Flat with 2 single beds
There are approximately 165 residents currently living at Stella Londt and they are cared for by a staff compliment of 45 Staff including Nurses and Carers.